Friday, October 28, 2016

Thoughts about Friends and a Fun Weekend!

Hey guys!

Are you good at making friends?

two girls cycling
It's hard for me but I feel that I'm getting better at it.
My husband is the opposite.
He has many good friends and has an atmosphere that welcomes people.
There was a time when I was worried about the fact that I have only a small number of friends and was not sure what to talk about with people.
I still have a small number of friends, but I don't worry too much about it now.
There is a person who no longer hangs out with me.
I have asked my husband what he thought I did wrong but we couldn't figure anything out.
I may have done something bad to her and not realized it, so I even asked her. She said that I didn't do anything bad, and rather, I am one of the nicest people she knows.
I was so sad about the fact that she no longer hangs out with me, but now I feel I want to focus on the current friends I have.

One thing I've been doing lately is to try not to make myself look better.
If I do so, I will need to do so every time I see the person, and it will make me tired.
Now, I feel somewhat confident in myself and I know that many people will like me as I am (there will always be some people who don't like me, but I won't worry about this small number of people.)
The "confidence" part is still a work in progress.
My husband and daughter gave me the confidence.
He knows my drawbacks and he still loves me. She loves me as I am.
Also, I've become friends with other moms!
I feel that having something in common makes it easier to connect with the other person.

Last Friday, I went to a girls' night party thrown by my coworker.
She is very nice to organize this party!
We had drinks (I had seltzer water) and played "Cards against Humanity".
Have you played the game?
People say it's an adult version of "Apples to Apples".
My husband took care of our 15-month old daughter that night.
It's been a while that I had a girl's night and I had lots of fun.

Last Sunday, we had a BBQ with the Goldman family and the Kamper family.
The Goldmans organized this (for a little bit of background about these nice families, read here).
The Goldman family brought hamburgers and pastas, the Kamper family brought skewered beef/chicken/vegetables, and we brought guacamole (recipe is here) and beer.
Gavin and Ken (baby boys) walked around and played.
Our daughter only walks several steps at a time now, so she stayed with me most of the time, but had some interactions with them.
We had a great time.

If you feel the same as the old me regarding friends, take a deep breath.
If you feel you want to change the situation, don't wait until you have a husband or a baby.
Most likely you don't need to change your personality (if you care for friends and are reading this article trying to get hints about friendship), but you just need to change the frame of mind and action.
I think three important things are to love yourself, have confidence, and thank people.
I thanked my coworker and the Goldman family not only on that day, but also on Monday at work to my coworker and via text to the Goldmans.
I thanked the Kamper family on that day, and would have thanked them next day as well, if I knew their contact number.
Let people know that you enjoyed your time with them so that there will be a "next time".

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment