Friday, September 30, 2016

Best Homemade Guacamole!

Do you like guacamole?
Do you fix guacamole at home?
In a minute, I'll tell you my favorite recipe for making guacamole with the help of a natural mix.

I like fresh guacamole served at some restaurants, but I don't like ready-made ones sold at grocery stores.
The whole family loves avocados and we eat one several times a week.
Our favorite way to eat them is to just cut one in half and scoop the green goodness out with a spoon, bite by bite.
Actually, one of the first foods we introduced to my daughter when she started eating solids was avocado!
Her doctor recommended it, in fact.
I love the creamy taste and the fact that it's very nutritious.
In Japan, avocados are sometimes called "butter of the forest" because of the creaminess and fattiness.
You don't need to worry as long as you eat them in moderation, though. Most of the fat is unsaturated fat, the so called "good fat".
Avocados also contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.

We buy 3 to 4 avocados once a week.
In the past they have sometimes spoiled after being left on the kitchen counter for a couple days or so, but not any more since we started putting them in the fridge and taking one out the day before we use it.
This prevents them from ripening before they are ready to be used. 
Try this if you've had the same problem.
Also, I believe they are much more flavorful when served at room temperature.

Last weekend, my husband got a guacamole mix called "Frontera Original Guacamole Mix (from Chef Rick Bayless)" and said "Let's fix guacamole!!", so we did!
It is super easy.
All the ingredients you need are two avocados and the mix.
The mix contains the following:
Roasted tomatillos, tomatoes, green chiles, onions, cilantro and garlic, citric acid, salt, evaporated cane juice.
The directions are the following:

guacamole
1. Scoop two ripe avocados out of the skin and mash it.
We tried to use a fork but it was kind of hard to mash so my husband squeezed them by hand.
2. Put the guacamole mix into the bowl with the avocados and mix the ingredients well.
The direction on the package says to add salt to taste but we didn't.
This is not required, but we diced some tomatoes and put them in as well.

I tried the guacamole and said "This is so yummy! This is the best!"
My husband and daughter loved it too.
We will definitely make this again.

We had a great weekend.
Let me tell you about it below.
We know a couple with a baby boy who was born just four days after my daughter (!) and they live in the same neighborhood as us. (Pseudonym: Goldman family and baby Gavin)
There is another couple with a baby boy who was born about a month after my daughter who also live in the same neighborhood. (Pseudonym: Kamper family and baby Ken)
We all had a lunch at a restaurant and had a great time.
There were papers and crayons so my daughter tried coloring for the first time!
The food was very good, too.
I ordered a chicken pot pie in jumbo size (it was just a dollar more than regular size) and my husband ordered a Greek omelet, French fries, and cheese grits.
My daughter enjoyed trying all of the items.
One thing that surprised me was that my daughter didn't fuss when the other babies were eating snack that the other mommies brought ahead of the meal.
Usually, when we have food out in front of her, she makes a lot of noise to let us know that she wants some, too, but today she didn't and waited calmly.

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment