Friday, October 7, 2016

Should You Do Your Own Makeup for Your Wedding?

Do you want to do your own makeup for your wedding?
Do you enjoy makeup?

bride at piano
This may be a common question that comes to mind when you are planning your wedding.
I wanted to look my best on my wedding day.
So I thought I may want to get my makeup done by a professional makeup artist.
However, I'm Japanese and was not sure if American makeup artists are good at applying makeup that suits a Japanese.
I wondered which option would make me look my best: I do my own makeup or let a makeup artist do my makeup.
The answer I thought is - it depends.
If the makeup artist is not familiar with Asian faces/skin or does not have good makeup skills, you may do better.
If you usually don't wear makeup and are not used to it, it may be better to ask a makeup artist.
You can check which statement group below describes you best:

Group A:
1. You want to have a special experience of having makeup done by a makeup artist.
2. You don't have a strong image about how you want to look at your wedding, you don't know what kind of makeup suits you, and want advice from a pro.
3. You think you are not good at applying makeup.
4. You don't have a lot of time to practice makeup.

Group B:
1. You have a strong image about how you want to look at your wedding.
2. You have good makeup skills - you like your makeup.
3. You have time to practice bridal makeup.
4. You have a low budget and want to keep the cost low.

If you find the group A describes you best, you may want to hire a makeup artist.
If you find the group B describes you best, you may want to do your own makeup.

In my case, I didn't have a clear image about how I wanted to look at my wedding, but I think I'm good at applying makeup and I was not sure if I could find an American makeup artist who is good at applying makeup to Asians.
So, I looked through many bridal makeup pictures online and grasped a clear image of how I wanted to look.
Then, I looked through some online articles and videos.
Finally, I practiced.

I have an important tip: regardless of the option you choose (do it yourself or makeup artist), do a trial run and take pictures.
If you decide to ask a makeup artist, although most makeup artists charge you some fee, do a run through with him/her.
I have read many sad stories where the makeup the artist applied on your wedding day was totally different than what you imagined and you totally didn't like it.
If you decide to do it yourself, even when you think you're good at applying makeup, do a trial run and take pictures.
You may find that the makeup looks too casual for a wedding or too subtle in the pictures.
After seeing the result, you could change your mind.
You thought you want to hire a makeup artist for the special day, did a run through with him/her, but didn't like the result, then you can tell him/her how you want to change, try another artist, or you can do it yourself.
You thought you want to do it yourself, did a trial run, but you were not able to achieve the look you wanted, then you can practice more or you can seek a makeup artist.

I'm personally really glad that I did my own makeup.
Many people complimented it (and it's kind of silly to say but I myself thought I looked very nice).
I improved my makeup skills and I can enjoy elegant makeup even after the wedding!

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment