Monday, September 19, 2016

Sensitive Skin / Skin Irritation after Giving Birth

Do you have sensitive skin?
Did your skin get irritated after giving birth?

straight faced girl
I used to have combination skin, a little bit oily on my nose but some other parts are drier, but my skin was relatively healthy.
I was able to use skin care products with lots of chemicals without any problems, although I mainly used natural ones.
However, after giving birth, my skin became irritated.
It got red on the sides of my nose and around my eyebrows, and itchy on the cheeks (it looked like seborrheic dermatitis when I googled, but not sure.)
It seemed that my skin's barrier system was lost, which caused my skin to be sensitive.
The redness and itchiness frustrated me.
It improved a lot around the time when my daughter became 6 months old, and then returned to normal when she became 10 months old.
Here is what I did to improve.

1. Rinsed my face with water in my hands, rather than directly from the shower head.
I used to rinse my face directly with the shower before giving birth and I had no problem.
However, doing so isn't good for your sensitive skin because of the shower water pressure.
It's better to put some water in your hands and rinse with that.

2. Stopped using soap/face soap when I washed my face in the morning.
I noticed that my skin was dry so I stopped using any kind of soap when I wash my face in the morning.
I just touched my face with water in my palms very, very gently.
I washed my face this way for a long time.
After my skin got better and produced more oil, I started to touch my face in a way that oil on my skin was transferred to my palms but I still didn't use soap in the morning.
Now, since my skin returned to normal, depending on my skin condition, I use face soap in the morning sometimes.

3. Used skin care products for sensitive skin.
I felt my skin was so dry.
The products I used to use without any problem before now made my skin dry.
So I searched for new skin care items.
I tried two new items first: one is a lotion with fulvic minerals. Actually, all the ingredients are fulvic minerals and purified water.
It seems it's very good in the long run because of various kinds of minerals in it, but this one was not hydrating my skin.
The other is rose water. The ingredients are, water, natural vegetable glycerin, and hydroessential rose oil.
It seemed natural and good, but it was not hydrating my skin well either.
So I pulled up a skincare/makeup products reviews/rankings website that I always use (it's a Japanese site) and searched for skin care products for sensitive skin.
I tried these two new items. One is this lotion: Minon Amino Moist Moist Charge Lotion II (extra moist type).
This hydrated my skin!
 I sometimes felt that it takes a bit of time to be absorbed in my skin though. Over all, it helped moisturizing my skin.
The other is Minon Amino Moist Moist Charge Milk.
This kept my skin moisturized.
These were developed for people with sensitive skin.
You don't need to use the exact same products above. Choose the ones that work for you.

4. Stopped using face powder.
I used to use face powder but one day I noticed that my face was dry and caked.
I stopped using it and noticed I didn't need it since my skin didn't produce much oil.
Now that my skin returned to normal, I started using it.

5. Tried not to wear makeup.
It's the best if you don't wear makeup at all.
However, you want to feel pretty now and then, right?
So I wore makeup only when I took photos, etc.

6. Tried to eat healthy.
I'm into health so I try to eat healthy regardless of if I have a skin issue.
I believe that eating healthy helps your skin.

The above is what I did.
Although I didn't go, it is a good idea to go to see a dermatologist too.
Another thing is, you are sleep deprived and may have less nutrition after giving birth, so your skin may improve as your life becomes more under control and you sleep a little more.

I hope your skin gets better soon (if you have irritated skin).
Thank you for reading and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment