Friday, September 23, 2016

Ideas to Fit Exercise into Your Busy Life

Do you exercise regularly?
What kind of exercises do you do?

two girls doing yoga
The way I exercise has changed as my life stage has changed.
At one point of my life, I went to a gym almost every day and exercised for an hour, but that's not what I do now.

You get more health benefit by walking for 20 minutes three times a week rather than running for 10 miles once a month.
Also, if it's too hard or boring, you may not continue it.
So, try something that you can do 2 to 3 times a week and that you enjoy, or you can have separate routines for weekdays and for weekends, which I do.

I'm going to write what I do.

1. What I do daily
-Rotate the neck
-Lunges
-Shoulder stretch (stretch the arms toward the back)
-Stomach crunches
These can be done in a very short time, I don't feel they are burdensome, and I can continue them easily.

Other examples that you can try are: lifting dumbbells, jumping on the spot.

2. Several times a week
-Radio calisthenics
Do you know what radio calisthenics are? It's a Japanese exercise.
When I was a kid, in the 80's, elementary school kids and some parents used to do this "radio calisthenics" at 6:30 AM along with radio, gathering together during summer vacation.
I heard that nowadays fewer and fewer people do this.
This routine contains various gentle movements that stretch various parts of your body.
The radio program contains an instructional voice and piano accompaniment.
Since I did it for six years every summer vacation, I still remember how to do it.
This takes about 10 minutes.
In my case, I remembered how to do the series of calisthenics but you can find some short exercise programs you can do along with TV / internet video.
The point here is, it's easy to do an exercise session of short to moderate length several times a week.

Other examples that you can try are: going for a walk, cleaning a small area while being conscious of stretching/muscle movement.

3. On weekends
-Dance along with a DVD
It's so fun to dance!
I choose a different DVD from time to time.
My current favorites are "Dance with Julianne Cardio Ballroom" by Julianne Hough and "Dancing with the Stars Dance off the Pounds".
Since it's fun, I can continue it easily.
You can do something that takes a bit more time on the weekends.

Other examples that you can try are: going to a gym, bicycling, swimming, Wii Fit, Xbox Dance Central, cleaning large area(s) while being conscious of stretching/muscle movement.

I hope you've gained some useful hints!
Below, I'll outline how the way I exercise has changed as my life stage has changed.
From elementary school to high school, I belonged to a sports team and I exercised a lot.
While I was a university student, I went to my apartment gym almost every day.
When I started working full time, I went to the gym less frequently.
However, when I moved into a different community, I completely stopped going to a gym. I believe one of the reasons for this was because I had to cross a major road with a busy intersection to get to the community gym.
I also noticed that I started getting bored with exercising in a gym. I became more interested in dancing!
That's why I started dancing along with DVDs.
What makes you more excited?
Find your way of enjoying exercises!

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment