Friday, November 18, 2016

My Favorite Non-Greasy Sunscreens

Do you use sunscreen regularly?
Which sunscreen do you use?

woman laying on the beach with straw hat
I use sunscreen throughout the year, even in winter.
It's because UV protection is key to healthy skin and anti-aging :)
There are two kinds of ultraviolet rays: UVA (contributes to skin aging and skin cancer risk) and UVB (contributes to sunburn).
The amount of UVB rays varies a lot throughout the year, but the intensity of UVA rays stays strong enough even in winter.
I use three different kinds of sunscreens currently for myself and one for my 15-month daughter.
Let's look at each item.

Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 40


clinique super city block sunscreen spf 40
This is my favorite sunscreen for my face. I've bought this so many times.
It is beige color and has a skin color correction effect.
I use this both when I wear everyday light makeup and when I wear heavier makeup for special occasions.
Although it is oil-free, it gives me some shine.
So, when I don't wear foundation, I apply face powder to my T-zone only over this sunscreen.
This way, the T-zone doesn't look oily but gives the cheeks some glow.
It uses titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as a part of the active ingredients.
These are minerals and good ingredients for sunscreens.

Active Ingredients:
Octinoxate 7.50%, Octisalate 2.00%, Titanium Dioxide 5.20%, Zinc Oxide 6.00%.
Inactive Ingredients:
Water\Aqua\Eau, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetyl Alcohol, Laureth-4, PEG-100 Stearate, Rosa Roxburghii Fruit Extract, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Porphyra Yezoensis (Algae) Extract, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract\Extrait D'orge, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, Plankton Extract, Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Yeast Extract\Faex\Extrait De Levure, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pantethine , PVP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Acetyl Glucosamine, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyethylene, Caffeine, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Nylon-12, Zeolite, Lecithin, Polysorbate 80, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Isostearic Acid, Calcium Chloride, Alumina, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Hexylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)


Coppertone Oil Free Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30

coppertone oil free sunscreen spf 30
I use this for my body.
I've bought this several times.
I like this because it's not greasy and it's sold at a reasonable price (it was a little bit above $10 when I bought it).
This product contains relatively mild ingredients mostly.
I wish this is sold at grocery stores, but it's not where I live. I need to go to a drug store or order online.

Active Ingredients:
Avobenzone 2%, Homosalate (13%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2%), Oxybenzone 4%
Inactive Ingredients:
Water, Sorbitol, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Triethanolamine, Stearic Acid, Sorbitan Isostearate, Benzyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Carbomer, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA



Loretta Ohisama Nakayoshi UV Care Shuu SPF 50+

loretta sunscreen spray spf 50
I usually use a sunscreen for my body on the neck as well, but I use this spray type sunscreen for my neck these days.
This is made in Japan.
"Ohisama" is a cute way to say "the sun" in Japanese.
"Nakayoshi" is a cute way to say "pal".
"Shuu" is an onomatopoeia that expresses the sound of the spray coming out.
This is easy to apply and smells good. The scent is from damask rose oil.
I felt that it was just an OK smell the first time I used it but I like the smell now.
It's not greasy at all.
One drawback is that because this is a spray type, you may inhale a little bit of particles.

Ingredients (transtaled to English by me. I tried to list these as accurately as possible, but they are not confirmed by the company.):
LPG, water, cyclopentasiloxane, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, ethylhexyl palmitate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, polymethylsilsesquioxane, rosa damascena flower oil, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, sodium hyaluronate, royal jelly extract, octocrylene, butylene glycol, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, polysilicone-14, trimethylsiloxysilicate, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, PEG-10 dimethicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, disteardimonium hectorite, fragrance


Nature's Gate Kids Vegan Sunscreen SPF 50

natures gate kids sunscreen spf 50
This is for my daughter but I sometimes borrow it.
This is on the greasy side.
The package says "Pediatrician Tested".
I did some research on my own because there are many cases where a product is not good / mild even when its package says "Recommended by dermatologist / pediatrician" or "Dermatologist / pediatrician tested".
It uses zinc oxide as a part of the active ingredients, which is a mineral and a good ingredient for sunscreen.
Other ingredients are relatively mild as well.


Active Ingredients:
Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (7%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%)
Inactive Ingredients:
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Magnesium Sulfate, Neopentyl Glycol Diethlyhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl 2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Water


Let's use sunscreen throughout the year and keep healthy skin!
Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment